Tuesday 22 October 2013

Do You Believe In Rules? by Michelle D. Argyle #Indiestructible

Michelle D. Argyle Official Author Photo
Michelle D. Argyle
When I heard about Indiestructible, my heart began to race. I’ve never been an author to think self-publishing or small-press publishing is the only way to go, but I have always strongly believed no one path is best for any one author. Whenever I stop by a blog post that shouts and screams things like “don’t ever use adverbs!” or “never start a novel with your character waking up!” or “self-publishing is for those not good enough”, I get a nasty taste in my mouth. 

I don’t believe in rules for writers. I believe in good grammar and spelling. I believe most stories follow the same types of structure to work, but I do not believe there are rules everyone should follow no matter what. That’s what makes writing art and creative. It’s not a mold. We are not robots or machines. And publishing … well, it’s the same thing. There is no one way to do it. Any way you go about it can be done poorly, but the opposite is also true.

So Indiestructible is everything I embrace. It loudly declares how proud authors are of going down a different path from the norm. I’ve never been one to follow the bigger group of people. When I married, I had a dress made instead of going to buy one. It was from a Renaissance pattern because I wanted something completely different. I’ve always liked to feel different and unique, so it’s no wonder that in my publishing career I have followed a similar path—one not so well trodden. We authors who trod this path are indestructible. We are not better than others who go a more traditional route. What we are is unconventional, and I think that makes a difference in how we approach our writing. It gives us a fun, creative, and unique flair that adds to the richness of everything else out there.

I hope writers all of kinds pick up Indiestructible and leave with a wider view of what’s out there. I know I have!
________________________

Just $0.99 on Amazon
100% of proceeds will be donated to BUILDON.org, a movement which breaks the cycle of poverty, illiteracy, and low expectations through service and education.


Contributing authors:
________________________

About Michelle D. Argyle:

Argyle lives and writes in Utah, surrounded by the Rocky Mountains. She loves the seasons, but late summer and early fall are her favorites. She adores chocolate, sushi, and lots of ethnic food, and loves to read and write books in whatever time she can grab between her sword-wielding husband and energetic daughter. She believes a simple life is the best life. Michelle currently has four novels published: MONARCH, THE BREAKAWAY, BONDED, and PIECES.
________________________

CLICK HERE to subscribe to my newsletter. Every subscriber will receive The Hum of Sin Against Skin for free, and be the first to know about new releases and special subscriber giveaways.

19 comments:

  1. Rules Schmules, eh? I am not a big fan, either. I'm doing a mix of traditional and self publishing, which surely is the most schizophrenic possible plan. I just feel like I need to let the works go the route they want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the hybrid authors these days are making a wise choice. It makes me think of the "don't put all your eggs in one basket" sort of approach. As far as writing, yep, I it's so important to let a book do what it needs to do without forcing it. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  2. If everybody had followed the rules, Ernest Hemingway would've fallen by the wayside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kitty! That would be a sad loss indeed, wouldn't it? I'm so glad the artistic field is a place where we can really just let go. At least, for the most part I try to! Sometimes it's easy to forget.

      Delete
  3. Renaissance wedding dress = awesome. :) Love this, Michelle! I already have INDIESTRUCTIBLE on my Kindle and have enjoyed it so far. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, Katy, I should show you my dress! It's quite the piece, hah. Thanks for your support of Indiestructible!

      Delete
  4. This is a GREAT book, it really is. In fact, just now I left a review on Goodreads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Cathy! Reviews are the best and truest gold for all these authors. :)

      Delete
  5. Interesting thoughts. Although, at this point I think more people are self publishing than going the traditional route. Some people are even self publishing to build a platform and then going the traditional route.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Beth, I'm seeing more and more of that, as well. It wasn't my plan to do so, but it looks like I'm going in the direction of using it as a platform as well and then moving on later to more traditional. I was kind of pushed into that corner, but I'm liking it here so far.

      Delete
  6. You're right - there is more than one way to do it. I know a lot of authors want agents, but I never even considered that route. The result is I'm very happy with my small press.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, I'm so happy you're pleased with your small press and that it has gone well for you! I think that can be such a risky route (now that I've gone through a bit of a rocky road with one myself). You have definitely been successful, which is really great!

      Delete
  7. I'm the same way. I'm not a fan of rules especially when it comes to self-expression or the arts. After all I'm a child of the 60's and have always had a tendency toward breaking rules. If a writer says something that makes sense and is completely understandable and "broke the rules" in doing so then I feel as though they've created their own personal rules of writing. And later they can break their own rules if they want to. Readability is the important thing.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arlee, you hit right on what I believe -- personal rules. I definitely create my own and stick by them unless the piece I'm working on requires me to bend or break them. I'm never afraid to try something new!

      Delete
  8. My publisher is actually very passionate about this--the idea of no writing rules. He says there's really only one golden rule, and that is "to engage your readers." This was very transformational for my writing, especially coming from someone so involved and respected in the profession.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You need to know the rules before you break them. We have individual voices, they should never be lost in the clamour to follow the crowd.

    I can think of many authors who ignored the advice. Different writing books emphasize different skills, but my faves are by those who tell you to use your own voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's important to know the "rules" too, but it's important to make them your own and figure out what works for you. It can be so hard to find your voice sometimes!

      Delete

“I'm using my art to comment on what I see. You don't have to agree with it.” ~John Mellencamp

“Allowing an unimportant mistake to pass without comment is a wonderful social grace” ~Judith S. Marin

“I don't ever try to make a serious social comment.” ~Paul McCartney

“I'd make a comment at a meeting and nobody would even acknowledge me. Then some man would say the same thing and they'd all nod.” ~Charlotte Bunch

“Probably what my comment meant was that I don't care about the circumstances if I can tell the truth.” ~Sally Kirkland

“We're not going to pay attention to the silliness and the petty comments. And quite frankly, women have joined me in this effort, and so it's not about appearances. It's about effectiveness.” ~Katherine Harris